Media Release - Fireworks Safety and By-law Reminder

Media Release - Fireworks Safety and By-law Reminder

June 30, 2017

Township Reminds Residents of Fireworks Safety and By-law

MUSKOKA LAKES – The Township of Muskoka Lakes is reminding residents if they are going to use fireworks this weekend to abide by the Township of Muskoka Lakes Fireworks By-law 2016-092. This By-law can be found on the Township Website at www.muskokalakes.ca.

The Fireworks By-law was adopted by Township Council last year and regulates the use of consumer and display fireworks.  Fireworks are only permitted on Friday and Saturday nights, Victoria Day and Canada Day until 11:00pm.  In the event of inclement weather on Victoria Day and Canada Day there is a 7 day grace period, three(3) days before and three(3) days after the holiday to allow for your event.  All other days require a permit through the Township. For more information please visit the Township Website.

If you still choose to have family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, here are some important safety tips to be followed:

  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging. Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks at a safe distance from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
  • Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

 

                                                                                    -30-

 

For additional Information, please contact:

Douglas Holland (p-CFEI)

Fire Prevention Officer / Emergency Management

Township of Muskoka Lakes

(705) 765-3516 Ext. 282

Dholland@Muskokalakes.ca 

Friday, June 30, 2017
w3cP.O. Box 129, 1 Bailey St., Port Carling, Ontario, P0B 1J0  Phone:(705)765-3156  Fax:(705)765-6755
Municipal Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (excluding holidays)